FYI: If you don't like reading about breastfeeding (Ross), don't read the first two paragraphs. :)
So tonight I get up and look at the clock and almost fall out of bed as it's 2:38am and Morgan hasn't been up once yet. I laid back down and then started getting scared that she wasn't breathing b/c I think she's just starting to get a cold (poor thing). So I tiptoed upstairs to check and sure enough, she's fine. I refilled her humidifier b/c if she has a cold she needs it quite badly, and crept out and back to bed. Then I lie there awake wondering if I should go pump or see how long she goes until I just need to nurse her. Question answered 15 minutes later when she was up. At least she had a big grin on her congested little face which is always great to see, but especially at 3am. :)
So it had been 6.5 hours since I had last nursed Morgan so we made sure the latch was quick to minimize a mess. It worked well and she started eating. Then she took a little break about 10 minutes later and I felt my arm getting wet...and got nervous that she was spitting up. So I quickly sit her up to catch the mess and make it easier for her to get it out...only to see the poor little girl wagging her head back and forth...to avoid the milk SPRAY. I was actually spraying milk. I didn't think I'd have enough to do that ever, much less after she'd been eating for a while! So we made a few quick changes and she was cleaned up and eating again. I felt so bad but I couldn't help but laugh at the poor thing...(wrote this at 4am Sunday morning while pumping since she only ate on one side - shocker, the kid always takes both.)
(9am Sunday morning) Now I digress. Morgan and I went shopping yesterday and since last weekend was such a disaster with her screaming our way through the mall and being so upset by the time we got to the car that she couldn't latch on...so I brought a bottle of milk along this time thinking it would be a million times better...and I was right. :) I love it when that happens most times. We went to two places and then at Target she started to fuss so we hung out in the little "dining area" for her to eat...and I figured I had too much in her bottle of 4oz, but the hungry little bear drank the WHOLE thing! The reason I'm surprised by her taking 4oz is b/c this week when I've pumped I've gotten a total of 1.5oz out of BOTH sides combined which makes me worried about how much milk she's getting. Clearly she's getting enough b/c she's growing like a weed and has the appropriate number of wet diapers. I'm hoping it was b/c I didn't drink enough this week as to my lower supply and not that my body doesn't respond well to pumping. That could pose a problem when I go back to work...but we'll cross that bridge when the time comes. Last night I only pumped 2oz out of my left side after almost 7 hours of not feeding/pumping. I was kind of sad as I thought it should have been a lot more (and felt like a lot more, too). Sigh.
So it's official. Poor little Morgan has a cold. She was only up the one time last night which is highly uncharacteristic of her. She's rather congested nasally which results in lots of boogers (which she doesn't like sucked out until it's done, then she's happy she can sort of breathe again), sneezing, and coughing. Thankfully her coughing is dry or I'd be super worried about her lungs. I had the H1N1 shot about 5 days before she was born but I don't know if she got enough of what she needed as I thought it took 10 days to really kick in. I received some great advice from some friends so we'll go with that (sleeping at an incline, vaporizer - which is on every night anyway, suction, etc.). She's sleeping more too so hopefully that will help her little body heal. I hope she's feeling better before we travel on Saturday to WI.
Ok, off to get some things done while she's sleeping. I'm DEFINITELY taking a nap with her at some point today. Adam doesn't feel well at all either as his throat is really sore and I think he's a bit congested too, although he's still out in the cold hunting. I'm a little nasally congested but nothing like Morgan. Lots of kleenex and suction at the Schmidt household this week along with crazy packing and some magic from Adam to make it all fit in the Highlander. He's quite good at this so I'm only moderately worried instead of all out freaking out. :) Feel free to say a little prayer that our peanut feels better...I know I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment