Last night, I hardly let my girls out of my sight. I cried the whole way home from work and hugged them with a ferocity that I typically reserve for those I haven't seen in ages (think brother coming home from a deployment and being thankful he's there in one piece to hug). I kissed them 100 times and then 100 times more. The unspeakable events that happened in Connecticut yesterday left me shaken and beside myself. Babies. They were all babies and even the "big ones" were somebody's babies, and now heroes. School is a safe place. Especially an elementary school. I don't know the people who were hurt or affected. I don't know anyone that lives in the state or region, really. But to think of the pain those parents, family members, and community went through yesterday and are still dealing with today shatters my heart. I saw a quote from Savannah Guthrie on the Today Show and she said, "If you are lucky enough to love a child, you cannot shield your heart from how much this hurts." It rings so true as I still found myself crying in bits and pieces today thinking about it. If that happened to us...our community. It's unspeakable. There aren't words. You're not supposed to lay babies to rest.
We haven't watched TV really at all today. It hurts too much to turn it on and Morgan is too intuitive for us to have it on around her. If we can shield her from that sort of pain for just a little longer...we'll do it. She's too little to really understand and her life right now doesn't lend her to just hearing about it on the fly somewhere, really.
Hug your kids tight. Morgan sort of got away with a little murder last night because I was so thankful that I had her there with me to be a little sassy around the edges. Pray for those affected. Unspeakable tragedy. There are no words. :'-(
No comments:
Post a Comment