Sunday, December 9, 2012

Lily Anna

I have to tell the long story about this doll that Morgan will be receiving for Christmas this year. A few months ago after Morgan's birthday, I was trying to drum up ideas for her Christmas list b/c I knew people would be asking and I didn't want to be clueless when those questions came. I asked her if she would want a doll that looked just like her. She said yeah. I thought "American girl doll!"b/c you can customize them and whatnot so they actually look like your kid. This part of the story short, I was just about to let her grandma purchase it for her (first we were, then they were, then we were, finally they were) but I could NOT click "buy" b/c it was an obscene amount of money to spend on a doll for a 3 year old, I don't care how great she is (she being interchangeable b/w the kid and the doll).

So the search began - I'd already told a whole bunch of people that 18" doll accessories/clothes would make a great gift b/c Morgan would be getting this doll...so we had to find another not scary there are so many scary dolls out there doll. Then, I found it. Our Generation Doll. Specifically Lily Anna. See? Isn't she pretty? Straight blonde hair, blue eyes, no bangs. Looks just like Morgan except her hair's a little long.

So my search to actually acquire the doll began. I quickly realized she was only available at Target, was cheap ($32ish with two outfits and some book about how she rides horses), and was out of stock online. I started calling around (as did Sherri up in WI) to any Target I'd be willing to drive to should this doll actually exist in the store like the website said it did. Between Sherri and I, I think we had 6 Targets to cover. We started calling daily b/c they got trucks daily. I figured out that one of mine got a truck at 4am so I could call at 8am when they opened. Another one had trucks at another time, you get the idea.

So nothing. For days. For a week. Then two weeks. Still not available online unless you bought it on Amazon for MORE THAN TWICE what it cost on/at Target.

Fast-forward to yesterday, Saturday. Adam was hunting and we got a sitter so I could still go on my super fun I'm so glad I went shopping trip with some of my work friends in Iowa City. On my way I got bored, so I called the Target there to see if they had it. Shocker, they didn't but the girl in toys said that she'd seen, specifically, Lily Anna about 2 weeks ago at the store. I was shocked but she took my name/number and said she'd try but since there were so many workers who rotated in/out of the dept in a given day/week, it was doubtful that anyone would call. I was grateful she took my info - they don't usually do that at Target. Woo!

So drive drive drive...wait. If she saw one 2 weeks ago, what are the odds that it's back in stock online? I preface this next part with full realization/admission that I'm a moron and should have pulled over but I was running barely on time and maybe a few minutes late so I made sure to work on straight-aways and proceeded to immediately order the doll on my phone. I couldn't believe it! I got the confirmation email and did a happy squeal dance in my car. I got to my friend's house and could hardly contain myself. I called Sherri and we were both so excited!! It seriously felt like I won the three year old's lottery. :) Mostly I just can't wait to see the look on her face when she gets it b/c she's been stopping at all big (18") dolls lately in stores and just loving on them big time. And Cinderella. Which reminds me I need to get that movie for her yet (even though she won't watch it til she's 5).

Fast-forward to today. My sister-in-law texted me to say that she wanted to get a similar doll for my niece and actually found them much cheaper/on sale at Target today when she went. I checked online and sure enough - 25% off! What!? So I got right on the 800 line and so, to top it all off, I got the doll yesterday, it's being mailed to my in-laws so I don't have to deal with hiding/not breaking it on the way home in two weeks, and I got it for $8 less than I had planned. I am so excited. If she hates it, I'm keeping it and putting it out for display. ;-) But I know that won't be the case and I know she's going to love it. Woo!

PS. One year ago at this time, I was breathing through contractions and wandering all over my house while waiting for my dad to come visit. And in 4 hours, we were headed to the hospital to welcome our second baby girl into our family. Awww....that was a fast year. More on that tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment