Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cardiology, party of 1

So...we had another health "scare" (scare? it's not like she was rushed to the ER or anything) with Hadley. First there was the neuro scare when she was a teeny tiny infant (did I ever blog about that?) and then at her 18 month well check a few weeks ago, the NP heard a murmur. She had a dr listen and agreed that she heard it too, but that Hadley should be checked out by a specialist.

Fast-forward some weeks and off to the University of Iowa Peds Cardiologist we go (thankfully to the extension in the QCs...I know the QCs better than IA City at this point). (PS. I might have to cut this off b/c I'm going to be Skype-Insanity-ing it up with Adam in Montreal here in about 5 minutes (procrastinate the hell much?).

So Hadley and I got there, checked in, and went straight to radiology for her chest X-rays. It was awful. She didn't get to go in the big bad hold-her-down thing - nope. They had the big bad mom hold her elbows to her ears and not let her move. The whole time she was SCREAMING hysterically and saying my name over and over...I managed to breathe through it and only BARELY cry myself. It was like infant shots for my girls all over again (yeah - I cry for those, too). Thank GOD they turned out fine the first time and we could leave with her Tinkerbell and someotherprincess sticker.

Off to the doctor's office then, which was a LONG wait, but then EKG time (thank you iPhone with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episode) and then wait some more. Hadley did well as I had put her down for a later morning nap so she wasn't too bad/tired/crabby. The doctor came in, listened to Hadley, and said her X-ray looked good but it was a bit of a loud murmur and she wanted an ultrasound done.

Lucky Hadley, more TV and even a SUCKER while watching Nemo for her u/s. Long story longer, Hadley has an "innocent heart murmur" which means it's no big deal and we shouldn't even put it on any health forms in the future. Whew. Done. She's fine once again. No neuro issues. No heart issues (although the doctor wants her and Morgan to each have a cholesterol screening done at their next well checks/birthdays b/c of the family history on Adam's side. WOW. Seems early - the doctor was NOT messing around. It sounds like it would have to be super extreme for meds and they don't start them until age 8 if they LCL (is that right?) is to the moon and back. I don't think the girls would be THAT bad but hopefully they get the 50% chance of it from my side (no heart issues). :)

Now that Adam is waiting patiently (ha) for me in Montreal to do Insanity over Skype, I best get up, get my game face on, and go sweat out a gallon. Adios, amigos. Oh, and Hadley's 19 months old today. What.


No comments:

Post a Comment