I don't know how many times we're going to end up moving until our Iowa house is completely into our Wisconsin house, but for now, we've made another move.
Friday was a whirlwind of work, IEP meeting, race to run a few errands, grab the girls before they zonked out completely at school, and drive 5.5+ hours to Iowa so they had a little time to run around before falling into their beds (their OWN beds, yay!). We made it fine. Al & Sherri left around 3 and made it fine. Adam's flights were delayed an hour and a half but he got the trailer and drove down fine (only almost hit ONE deer).
Saturday, the real chaos started. I left for an 8am massage (I HAD to use up a gift certificate, darn), then we picked up the Highlander from the shop where it got a last free tire rotation, and then booked it out of the house that we had to reclean (after all the morning packing chaos and little girls' rampage) for a showing at 11:00. Of course! A showing in the middle of packing! Why not! And we have yet to hear how that went so I'm assuming it was all for nothing. More packing while the girls napped, then race to The Children's Museum for a daycare Christmas party (which was fab, as usual, and awesome for the girls to see Mary and friends again...Hadley would NOT let go of Mary for quite some time). We raced back home for dinner, play/pack time, girls got another bath, packing until 9:45. I ran out for well-deserved adult snacks and then we hit the sack hard. TIRED people, I tell you.
Sunday hit with a trip to church for a last worship which was SO heart-filling it wasn't even funny. It was sort of hard, actually, and I found more than once I had a large lump in my throat. We have an amazing church family at Grace Lutheran. Home we went and packed up as fast as we could b/c rain was coming. By rain, I meant giant thunderstorm but Adam and Al were diligent and got it all packed up/tarped down, and we hit the road just before 11:30. Longest line ever at McDonald's, then headed out of Muscatine by noon. Al had to stop for tarp adjustment. Adam and I kept going. I had to stop for kid bathroom break (a half hour into the trip...grr). Once we turned north, the weather turned. The west wind was HORRID and got worse the further north we went. I had the black luggage rack thing on my car and it might as well have been a sail. Long story short, it was once of worst trips between WI/IA weather-wise we've ever had. STRONG 30-35 mph winds going across the road most of the time with hard rain. The last hour "blessed us" with torrential rain. Nothing was ruined (that I know of yet) and we all made it.
We have lots of furniture/big stuff left in Iowa. Dressers are empty. The garage is FULL and will take a load in itself. I'm terrified about moving the China cabinet and grandfather clock. We plan the next "adults-only" trip on Dec. 20th/21st (not sure of leave date yet) to get the rest of the big furniture we need to move in and be comfortable in the new house. It's hard to believe that's just a few days over a month away! So close to getting into our new house...we can't wait! And now a crazy week of conferences awaits...
No comments:
Post a Comment