Thursday, March 6, 2014

The one where they kicked me out

I'm wallowing in self-pity, folks. It will pass and I know I just need to get over it because it's life and (what!?) it's not all about me. I got an email from an administrator on Monday (the kind where it's all "Call me. My cell is blahbiddyblah.") and after some phone tag, found out through a very unemotional delivery that I was essentially being kicked out of my building as of the end of this year. The person whose spot I took didn't like her new position and given the circumstances of my arrival (late) and whatnot, she gets her old spot back.

I could say lots of mean things (since I've already thought them, obviously) but when it comes down to it, it's life and if that's how the rules go here, that's how they go and honestly, I'm not going to be the one to change them. Thankfully no matter what, I still have a job so that's not the problem.

Oh and I'm sad. I flat out cried after barely holding it together while she was telling me over the phone. I really enjoy my building, I finally feel like I'm making friend connections and not just professional ones here (this is so hard for me to do), and it's just a good PLACE. I told the administrator that I do not want a high school (I could go into the mess that is speech in high schools here but I'll save all that fun jazz for another day). Frankly, I don't want a middle school either (what?! why don't you want to therapize hormonal teenagers who don't want to come to speech!? I don't get it?!) but if I get a K-8 building, so be it (I don't think I will).

So now I sit and wait while all the other more senior SLPs get all the good spots and then I get the leftovers. Thankfully there are a few retirements as well, so I shouldn't be stuck with the high school opening they have...I could take the Assistive Tech position that opened as a result of the person coming back to my school but I don't want it. I want to see kids on a daily basis of all sorts of varieties. I'm not sure I'm cut out to work with gadgets all day even though I have the training and experience to get started, learn more on the job, and probably do ok.

AAAaaaaaannnndd it's conferences night tonight, followed by another night of them on Tuesday. Sigh. Such a necessary evil. I'd much rather have 15 conferences than 35 though...

POSITIVE NOTE:
Adam booked our getaway to Wisconsin Dells from March 18-20. It's just a few days away but I think it's just what we need - we need some fun, some water, some plain old family time away from the "norm." We haven't told the girls yet because they'll want to pack tonight and go tomorrow. Maybe this weekend. Maybe next weekend. I don't know but we best find their floaties BEFORE telling them...

No comments:

Post a Comment