We went to the doctor's today for a follow-up weight check since Morgan was under where she should have been at her 2-week point. Last week she weighed in at 8,14lbs and was supposed to have hit her birth weight of 9,0.4lbs that day. So we worked our tails off (ok, this was all premeditated by Morgan. I had no control over when the child is hungry) and low and behold even the nurse was surprised by how much she grew! As of today (3 weeks old), Morgan is 9lbs, 10oz! And she grew another inch since birth and is now 21.5" long. Sheesh! This kid's a-growin'. We were happy about this but not too surprised...she looks much bigger since last week. And I know I haven't been good about pictures...turns out she wants to be held OFTEN and rarely put down which makes things difficult for mommy to do around the house.
Today we are starting crib "training." This week's goal is to have Morgan nap in her crib...and today's attempt didn't go too well. We have someone coming to the house at 2pm to discuss development or something (we agreed to this at the hospital) so I would rather her be in the middle of her deep afternoon nap than fussing and me having to bounce her on the ball while the lady tried to talk to me over her screaming. Now that she's sleeping peacefully in her lamb swing, we'll go for it again tomorrow. Today she made it about 5 minutes before the attempt was over. I'd try again, but like I said...sleeping baby for company = sanity for mom. :)
I must also make note of how lucky we are to have such great friends. On Saturday, I got a call from our friend, Julie, asking if she could come over and help out around the house a bit. I have a really hard time saying yes or asking for this kind of help, but I agreed to it and she came on down...and was here cleaning her little heart out for over 2 hours. My house was SO much cleaner than it was before she came and we were soooo grateful (especially OCD mommy). There's my shout out to Jewels - THANK YOU!!
Next order of business. Nursing (go figure). Saturday night we were all set to have Jason & Julie over for pizza, cheesecake, and wine to thank them for their help and Morgan got hungry about 15 minutes before they were set to come. So I get ready to nurse her and low and behold - the child forgot how to latch on. I mean it. Actually FORGOT how to latch. I digress momentarily - we were pretty confident in Morgan's lack of nipple confusion at this point and gave her the nuk that had given us SO much trouble at the hospital b/c she did better with that one that the other ones we'd tried. She'd had access to it for at least 2 days and for whatever reason, it was the end-all to nursing. We tried everything...took breaks, mom cried, Morgan cried (screamed and screamed, actually). I knew she could do it though b/c she did it at the hospital...so finally after trying, crying, screaming (Morgan), napping, etc., Morgan had success after I put my pinky finger in her mouth and got her sucking on that first, then moved her to nurse. It worked!! Thank GOD. I was starting to get worried that A) she was sick or B) that we'd have to take her to the ER to get fluids in an IV so she wouldn't become dehydrated while we figured out this latch thing. And she hasn't had any problems since. Needless to say, that nuk is currently on its way to whatever landfill our trash goes to as it was picked up a few hours ago. She didn't even want one today when I tried reintroducing her old one to see if she wanted it. Fine by me!
Alright, off to get some things done really fast before the lady gets here and the baby is sleeping. PS. I can't seem to eat enough the past day or so. I'm always starving. I never feel full. I think Morgan's going through her 3-week growth spurt so that must mean that I am too...sort of. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment