Thursday, November 19, 2009

SO much to catch up on...

It's been SO long!! And SO much has happened!! I'll just dive right in then...

So Saturday afternoon, I started to notice that the left side of my left breast was getting more and more sore and hard so I assumed I had a clogged milk duct. Worried that it would eventually turn into an infection (mastitis), I did some warm compresses & massage to try to unclog it. Unfortunately, within about 2 hours I was getting chills and knew something was wrong. I called the on-call doc who also said I had mastitis and needed antibiotics...but all the pharmacies were closed. :-/ I was really upset b/c my fever was getting worse by the minute so he recommended Tylenol until I could get my meds in the morning. So I shivered and sweat my way through the night and made sure Morgan completely emptied the affected breast every time as this is super important for mastitis. I got my meds Sunday but was so sick the whole day except for nursing. It was awful. I haven't had a fever in a while so it seemed even worse. Then Adam was scheduled to leave for the west coast for work Monday and I was petrified of doing this alone in the first place, much less do it super sick!! So I emergency called Grandma Susie who was able to come first thing Monday and was an amazing help!! Also, my coworker, Deb, came to get me through Monday morning and I was grateful. (Morgan is Deb's BBF - best baby friend.) By Tuesday I was feeling pretty good and Wednesday I felt great. Just finishing up my meds and feeling great. Woop woop!

We have had a week of some new firsts, but not too many since Daddy was gone for work this week. :) Late last week/early weekend, I was almost positive that I had made Morgan smile on purpose and not just a gas smile. Sure enough, I can make her smile!! In fact, sometimes it happens over and over before we make other silly faces. She can't WAIT to show Daddy, although he's been warned that he's got to work for it; she doesn't just give those away for free...most of the time. :)

First smile Mommy caught on camera...awwww...

Another new thing this week is Morgan's ability to do some simple visual tracking. She will and does do best with faces and if we're real close. She can go side to side and sometimes takes breaks in the middle, but it's neat to see her taking interest in something and follow it with her growing and stronger beautiful blue eyes. I have a feeling she's about to continue to take off with new things and it's so exciting!

Last new thing - she's starting to make tiny little bubbles when she's hanging out in the bouncy seat. The amazing bouncy seat that we are borrowing from the Benners'. This thing has saved my life more than once already this week and Morgan loves it. She loves it so much I'd buy her 10 if it meant she'd be this happy. Thank you Benners!!!


Hello!! She is really making big improvements with her eyes and coordination of them.

This weekend will be a first for Morgan and Adam since he will be giving her her first bottle. He is SO looking forward to it as would I if I were him. Eating in general is such an intimate thing, no matter what your age, but to be able to give nutrition to your child is so much more than that. Now that she looks us in the eye SO much more, it's even more intimate. I'm really looking forward to that moment although I will not be in the room. I've heard that if nursing mom is in the room, baby can tell and might not take the bottle. I'm so excited for them. I just hope she takes it well and it goes alright.

Lastly, (since the child is crying and will need to eat/get dressed for bed soon) I'm slightly worried that I won't be able to make enough milk for Morgan as we go along. She's getting plenty now, but I worry that as she needs more I might need help! I am going to pick up some Fenugreek tomorrow just in case. I hear of other mothers who have such surpluses of milk or who's babies only eat from one side per feeding, whereas Morgan drains both sides EVERY time (save for a rare nighttime feeding when she is too tired and I have to pump it out - hasn't happened in a long time). So we'll see. Like I said, she's good for now as she has the right amount of dirty/wet diapers which is the way to indicate whether or not she's getting enough. We'll keep going and do what we have to do.

Can you believe it's been a month already? :)

I'm 1 month old today and cute as ever!! (11.19.09)

No comments:

Post a Comment