Monday, August 6, 2012

It's about time...

for a family update. I haven't done one of these in a while and it's time. A few items of note before the individual shenanigans...

  • We were just in WI this past weekend to meet our newest niece, Teegan. She's adorable and tiny and quiet and tiny and beautiful. She looks just like her sisters and they are so lucky to have such a cute baby in their family!
  • Adam's traveling in southern FL this week and it's my last week home with the girls before starting work full time again on Monday. I have mixed emotions about this and will fill you in below.
  • Not much else to report outside of what I'll put below...
Starting with the tiny one...
HADLEY:
  • goes from sit to side to laying to hands/knees/toes with ease. She rocks on her hands/knee/other toes and sometimes just hands/knees. She's sooo close, you guys. After she starts back to daycare next week and watches her little buddy Scout (who's 4 months older and crawling like a crazy baby), I'm guessing she's going to take off and it will finally be time to break out the baby gates for a few months again.
  • naps 30min-1.5hrs in the morning and 1-2 hours in the afternoon. She can really vary on her nap times. 
  • is working on eating more and more and new things. She is enjoying trying new things like eggs and a few tiny pieces of soft meat here and there and LOVED mac 'n cheese yesterday until I had to finally cut her off. She takes 4-5 bottles a day and will vary from holding it herself to being lazy and making us do it (which is ok with me b/c that means she's still my baby).
  • She's made some nice receptive gains as of late but over the weekend she started clapping for "yay!", does "so big!" and waves good bye. I feel like she's getting this much faster than Morgan did but I'll have to look back. I know Morgan was using more consonants than Hadley at this age. It's so interesting to watch them grow differently. 
  • Hadley's officially got "stranger danger" now. Sometimes she's ok but it's not a shock if she freaks when being held by someone she doesn't see almost every day. Sigh. A phase.
  • She is at the point in the car where she's ok with toys for a bit but really just wants someone to sit in the backseat and give her oodles of attention. Super, right at the beginning of "drive to WI 2x/month season." Although kudos to the rest of my family yesterday - Adam for suggesting leaving right after her morning nap/bottle. Hadley for sleeping TWO HOURS in the car, some of which included going back to sleep after multiple stops (lights) in Madison. Morgan for sleeping 1.5 hours and being super quiet for the last half hour of Hadley's nap. 
  • She loves standing. Loves it. She frequently will become stick straight if she thinks she's going to be sitting b/c she'd rather stand. I really hope she remembers to crawl between sitting and walking b/c it's good for brain development (and you have a paranoid mommy, Hadley, sorry tutz).
MORGAN:
  • She is a ball of wonderful right now. She's starting to ask how things come to be (I'm just waiting for her to ask where babies come from...it wouldn't shock me with some of the stuff she comes up with. Yikes.) and is so beyond excited for Sunday school she could almost pee her pants. 
  • She still naps in the afternoons anywhere from 1-2.5 hours. Usually she's almost spot on for 1-1.25 hours and asks to go down for a nap b/c she's tired. 
  • I don't know if I ever blogged about it but she's fully out of diapers overnight and all. She hasn't had an accident for a long time (although last time I posted that I'm pretty sure she had one two days later...) and is good to go there. ::still crossing fingers and toes that Hadley follows in her footsteps for potty training::
  • She has a "WI jar." We put things in it to help her count down to the next time we go to WI, otherwise she gets sad when she doesn't understand 12 days vs. 12 hours vs. 12 minutes until we leave. Last time we put tootsie rolls in it. This time it's puff balls. Next time, she's asked for buttons. :)
  • She tells the truth until the very end. This kid will tell me things she knows will get her in trouble (which actually gets her in less trouble since I'm so impressed she's willing (knowingly??) to put herself out there even though she knows I might not like it). 
  • She's asked to have a Jake and the Neverland Pirates birthday party (say what?! she's turning 3 in less than 3 months!?!). I think this is perfect as her birthday is just before Halloween and we should be able to find pirate stuff EVERYWHERE. I know we'll have at least one birthday party back home but I'm not sure I'm ready/willing to go for a big birthday party here yet for her little friends. Maybe for her 4th birthday...
  • I think she used a /k/ sound the other day...but then couldn't replicate it. :) I have to keep reminding myself she's totally normal even though we probe it once in a while just to make sure. :) Besides, it's really funny when she says, "Hurry duys! We dotta doh TWIT!" (hurry guys, we gotta go quick)
  • Her DVD player was acting funny in the car yesterday and while Adam was trying to figure it out, Morgan said, "This is SERIOUS!" Agreed. 
  • She now sings "Call me maybe" with me. Fun. She loves singing in general and makes up her own songs all the time. 
LISS
  • Ahh....work starts next week. It's almost fitting that it's Monday the 13th. At this time next week, instead of putting off cleaning up around here, doing the bathroom, etc, I'll be sitting in a meeting helping plan our PD for the year. Super. In some ways I'm so ready to go back but this year it's definitely more not ready than ready. My tune may change after a week of single parenting Thing 1 and Thing 2, but for now, I'm not ready. I don't want to leave them. I don't want to give up our freedom to play outside (now that it's not been 1,000 degrees out for a few days) or watching them do new things each day. I don't want to fix other people's kids when mine are doing what they're doing. That said, I'm so excited to see the progress my kids at work have made and get a few new ones going that were brought to my attention at the end of the school year. And I dearly miss my colleagues and all that comes with that. It will be good for us, but don't get me wrong - I love being home with my babies even though it's not 100% of the time (thank God for Mary! I had a little me time this summer!).
  • I'm still about 5-6 lbs above where I wanted to be at the end of this summer meaning I'm still 5-6lbs above pre-pregnancy weight with Hadley. I'm hoping that being at school with limited access to food (only what I bring) will help me out. That, and I find I drink lots more water at school which I definitely DON'T at home....I know, I know. My fault. It's just so nice to do whatever I want with my body b/c it's ALL MINE now and apparently the novelty hasn't worn off since mid-June. :)
  • I'm working on a more positive attitude. I have been letting my temper get to me lately which in turn obviously affects the rest of the yahoos around me, poor girls and Adam. I wonder if it has anything to do with hormones, as I had something like this happen around 6 months postpartum with Morgan, but sometimes I just need a reality check and I'm good. Adam asked me the other day if I was ok. He meant more than just that moment and after I thought about it, I realized I really need to kick it in gear and behave a bit better. Always a work in progress, no? :) 
ADAM:
  • He's recently turned into the walking wounded. He'd aggravated his wrist during a home workout and after it felt better for a few weeks, he reinjured it. Then his shoulder went out the other day and he thinks rotator cuff possibly. Maybe he golfs too much... ;-) He will disagree. 
  • Works fine. Nothing too new as far as I know. He's still doing really well and getting new business almost weekly which is pretty good. (In case you don't know, he's in sales at his company and sells products made from corn. Or something like that.) :)
  • He's lost 10lbs and is looking good, let me tell you. I'm proud of him and we've each only got a little more baby weight to lose... ;-)

I don't know much else that's going on right now other than what I've listed. We're both getting more and more sure every day that our family is complete and that having 4 of us is just right. Ok, who are we kidding, Adam's sure, and I'm also pretty sure. We were discussing this on the way home yesterday and the mere thought that I never have to pump again makes me almost giddy. Let me set the record straight, however; if God surprises us with a 3rd b/c he thinks we should have one, then we'd welcome that baby with open arms but if we're the ones making the decision, it seems like our family is a family of 4. With two crazy dogs. And now I have a few things to do before we go to a play date/borrow a baby monitor b/c we left half of one of ours in WI and we can't hear the girls from our room at night. Toodles, folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment