I love Morgan almost more than our own lives and the fact that we are living, breathing people. If that makes sense. But anyway, I am disappointed in her ability to cuddle. I can recall and tell you details of the longest time she's ever cuddled with me - it was a few months ago (I likely blogged about it) and she wasn't feeling well (to be found out later that evening by confirmation fever) and she cuddled with me while I rocked in the recliner for 10.5 minutes. She didn't move for 10.5 minutes and laid against my chest while sucking her thumb. I hardly breathed during said cuddle b/c it was so great.
Dear Morgan, honey, why don't you like to cuddle with us? I can answer that in a heartbeat - you are ALWAYS moving. Always. It is a rare moment that you are not moving somehow somewhere to get something done. I have no concerns that this beautifulperfectmyfavoriteever child is ADHD/ADD or anything b/c she can sit for a favorite book, concentrate and play with single toys for appropriate lengths of time, etc. I think in this respect she takes after me a bit where she has a hard time sitting still. I find myself up and around before I've even thought about it and I wonder if it's partly b/c her environment involves a crazy, moving all the time mom (ok, I do sit at night at some point usually) or if it's her age or if she's just that curious...
But then I wonder if we wrecked her for cuddling b/c we were bound and determined to follow our pre-set rules (and by pre-set, I mean rules set years ago when such things as marriage/house/babies/etc seemed a bajillion years off) that included NO babies in bed (which we've laxed on in scary places (hello sharing a room in WI Dells) or if something serious isn't quite right), she WILL sleep on her own and in her own space, etc.
Tonight (and sort of lately too), Morgan was really upset after her bath and cried and cried (I think it's a combo of cold/being tired). I wrapped her in her towel and picked her up to cuddle her against my chest. Her little left thumb (the best one) popped out and she easily melted into me while I rocked her on the floor. Those moments make me almost burst with a sense of feeling whole b/c I have my very own baby cuddled against my chest, a place where only Morgan (so far) has been so close to that she could almost FEEL my heart beat from my inside. Ah. That child is the most beautiful thing in the whole world and I love how she makes me feel. I absolutely soak up those short moments of cuddling b/c they are so short even though I really do get them several times throughout the day.
To conclude my cuddling post, I'm a cuddler. My daughter is not. At least not to the extent that I would expect a tiny child of her age to be. She cuddles when she's sad. She cuddles when she feels love for us. She cuddles when she's tired. However, these cuddles are rarely longer than a minute and sometimes I miss when she was super little and I could just hold her and look at her and know she was going to be my baby forever. Sigh. What a big girl.
Few other notes I forgot in recent posts:
- Morgan's pretend play skills are pretty dang amazing. She loves her babies and feeds them, soothes/hugs them when they cry, and laughs with them when they laugh. She now loves to put them in their crib and covers them with their little blankets. Aw...
- Morgan is obsessed with her easel letters. They are cheap and have the tiny magnets in the back that easily fall out and choke tiny humans and dogs. They are heavily guarded so that said tiny humans and dogs don't ingest them. Or willingly give them to dogs to see what would happen...
- Suddenly at dinner tonight (thank you Applebee's for curing my "I do NOT feel like cooking" blues), Morgan took an extreme interest in coloring. Usually she just sort of half-heartedly tries and then starts her game of throw the crayons on the floor. She looked like she was 4 at dinner tonight.
- Today is Mary's birthday. Morgan got her a card and a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant here in town. When we were leaving Mary's house today, instead of doing her usual babble of "see ya later" and waving, Morgan put her little hand up to her mouth and blew Mary an audible kiss. (you know how you say "mmmm-MA!" when you blow kisses? she now does that too.) What a nice little happy birthday goodbye.
- Adam's diploma came today. He (and we) is (are) VERY proud of himself. As he should be. Final hoop complete.
- Did I mention I love my family? Sometimes I can't wait to get away but about 99% of the time I am doing everything in my power to see their shining faces again. Life is good and we are so blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment