Thursday, July 28, 2011

So when Adam's right it costs money. :-/

And by costs money, I mean thousands of dollars. :-( When we bought this house, we were aware that sometime soon (and by soon I mean 5 years) we'd likely be buying a new furnace-a/c unit for the house. Well, shocker, we've been here for 5 years (this is our 6th summer...wow, that's a lot!) and this summer the a/c started leaking water and making a general mess in the laundry room. Adam worked some awesome temporary fixes, but finally we had to concede since the water was getting out of control and after the a/c-furnace guys came today, it's a done deal. We have to replace it.

Negatives -
  1. Holy hell these things are EXPENSIVE. 
  2. I don't like being home when people are servicing things at my house without Adam around. I have no idea what to tell them even if he writes me a script b/c the worker bees never follow the script and I have to punt. 
  3. I don't like spending money. Well, not like this or on this sort of thing, that is.
  4. Mess. At least before and during.
Positives -
  1. We will be "super up to date" with technology in comparison to the 29 y/o system we have now.
  2. Instead of running at 60% efficiency as the current one is, the new one will at a minimum, be running at 95% efficiency (lowest grade). 
  3. Maybe, just maybe, the second floor will be warm/cool like the rest of the house and we won't have to have fans and/or space heaters to keep tiny humans comfortable. 
  4. We will be saving money on utilities and be more green in general. 
Sigh. What can I say. It's the summer to fix things, I guess!

1 comment:

  1. When it rains it pours. I hope you have it done quick! My dad and bro are heating & A/C techs, most of the guys are nice and will generally explain everything to you. Most of the time when they give you a price, that's the price. :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete