Wednesday, December 28, 2011

slowly....slowly

Slowly but surely Hadley is putting on the weight she's supposed to. And after I typed that I realized I haven't posted since Christmas so I'll have to post about that later. It was the quietest Christmas on record which was not the worst thing ever, but we sure did miss our families back home. More about that later.

Back to Miss "I only eat and gain weight when I want to" Hadley. We went in for another weight check yesterday and were hoping for a 3-4oz gain (or a gain of 1oz/day) and just barely got a 2oz gain. That's 0.5oz/day which is only half of what we were looking for. We chose not to supplement as the doctor had asked us to (1oz of formula after each nursing) for several reasons: 1. Hadley choked like crazy on a bottle I tried to feed her of breast milk when I pumped Friday to make sure I was getting enough for her, 2. The syringe of milk didn't go much better, and 3. We felt like she wasn't in dire straights in terms of weight and it was labor intensive for all involved with the supplementing.

That said, the doctor was rather confident in the fact that we should get labs done for Hadley and make sure her liver/kidneys are functioning appropriately. I looked at her with pleading eyes and she sent me to the lab. Without Adam. And fully prepared to cry my eyes out b/c Hadley would be hurting. So off we went and low and behold, Hadley again pulls out front for being my favorite baby/infant and didn't cry a peep when her foot was poked. She finally got mad about half way through her foot being squeezed like crazy and then started crying but by then I was fine b/c I knew she wasn't in pain, but was just mad. Score.

At 5:30pm, the doctor called to report that the labs came back fine. Woo! We are going back on Friday again (what ELSE is there to do on Ts/Fs?) for another weight check and are looking for another 3oz gain (1oz/day) by Friday. I'm going to put my guess in at 2. If it went by tenths, I'd be looking at 1.5oz. Either way, I'm no doctor but I'm almost positive she's fine. Off we go...time to wake her up for another feeding. Poor kid. She'd hate me if she could remember that I had to wake her up all the time. ;-)

One other thing real quick...last night Morgan and I were trying out her new bike from Santa AND the helmet (Morgan - "Don't 'get my helmet!!") and I told Adam if he was free (he had Hadley) he should come see Morgan b/c she looked so grown up on her bike...and on their way down the stairs I heard the terrifying sound of falling. I screamed and found Adam and Hadley on the stairs seeming like Adam had just sat down, but in fact had fallen down I don't know how many stairs. Hadley did some silent screaming, Adam was rather sore, but after everyone calmed down (meaning me and Hadley), we figured out that Adam was amazing and had cushioned her just the right way and paid for it with a sore elbow and heel. Lots of thankful prayers were said that the fall went the way it did and wasn't a forward fall. Terrifying nonetheless. Yikes.

Ok, off to wake her up for real this time...sorry baby...

No comments:

Post a Comment