Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Weekend 2011

We had a FABULOUS weekend this past Easter weekend. I easily remember pictures from last year's Easter and to pair them with the child that is Morgan this year really blew us away. Last Easter, she was just starting to sit up on her own for short seconds of time. This year, she's going up steps by holding a hand on the wall. Last year, she had no words and I was praying she'd get the sign for "more" any day. This year she's speaking in 1-2 word utterances, has a few spontaneous 3-word utterances, and will repeat anything (beware!) we say. It's amazing the difference a year makes. I'm sure we'll think of much of the same next year. Sigh.

adam's parents were down this weekend so G&G means grandma & grandpa, FYI. Morgan took a few more giant developmental (in my eyes) leaps this past weekend.
  1. I looked down the stairs as Morgan and G&G were coming up. Morgan was leading the way...on her FEET. She had one hand on the wall and going up the stairs like I do, except she was going two feet per step instead of one...I almost teared up a little. Too big, too fast.
  2. Morgan's verbal  skills continue to grow. See first paragraph. :)
  3. She now recognizes where we are locally when driving. Any time we come near our subdivision, she starts saying, "Ays house?" (Mary's house) and we tell to wait until we actually get there. This also happens when we leave church - she says, "himming?" - you guessed it - church is very near the YMCA where she has her lessons. Unbelievable. 
  4. Morgan's fine motor skills are way ahead of where they need to be. She can put tiny things in tiny holes, use a spoon with ease and minimal-no spilling, and is getting better at opening things on her own. 
  5. Shoes...she loves shoes. This past weekend she was obsessed with wearing her grandma's shoes all over the house. She also tries to put her own shoes on all the time and then looks like she's walking in heels since they never get on all the way. I told Adam she's just getting ready for heels later. He swears she's getting ready for cleats. ;-)
While I'm writing this, she's fighting her afternoon nap. Bah. Of COURSE she'd do this on the afternoon she has to be at the doctor at 4pm for her 18-month well-check. Now she's yelling potty! poop! instead of mommy since I'm not answering. Too bad she did both right before she went down. Sigh.Silence? Could it be? Nah. That was too fast. I'll keep you posted.

Speaking of 18 month well check, I'm going to take a stab at what I think her stats are (ps I have NO idea how these guesses relate to percentiles at this point): Height: 33-33.5", Weight: 25-26.5lbs, Head Circumference: huge as it always has been. :) We shall see how close I am. And damn! A giant squeal-giggle followed by 10 billion more "mama"s.

Let's see, what else did we do this weekend...well, G&G came into town just before 9 on Thursday night. Friday morning it was junky outside so we had an indoor Easter egg hunt since it was raining and Adam was scheduled to be at an all-day softball tourney on Saturday. It went well except it took a while since she had to eat every teddy graham that was in each egg. :) Later that day, it was still gross outside but had cleared up enough for the guys to go golfing locally. Sherri and I hung out with Morgan and planned how we were going to attack making Easter dinner. We got a late start but it was very good. We then went to check out the flooding Mississippi which is currently at the 6th worst flood on record. It's really not a big deal but it's almost funny to watch other people freak out about it, especially on the news.

Saturday, Adam's tourney was canceled since the fields were so wet so we went to the QCs for errands, shopping, and lunch. Morgan did very well the entire time which was nice. We went to this place called Teske's that I'd heard about but didn't know where it was until we sort of stumbled upon it. It's this garden/pet store and I was in heaven as soon as I saw this little tiny black Schnoodle. Oh she was SO so so so cute and I would have done anything in my power to have this little black 8-week-old fluff ball except then it would mean I'd have to potty train it, make sure Jessie didn't destroy it, and then have THREE dogs and a toddler to take care of when Adam travels...so I opted out. Sad though...she was lovely. I told Adam that at some point I'm getting a lap dog who really IS a lap dog and not just thinks she is and is huge. :) Naps all around in the afternoon before Adam and I went on an impromtu date to see the movie "Water for Elephants." It was the best of the 5 movies playing at tiny Muscatine's theater and it turned out to be a really great movie. Neither of us had heard of it and when I saw the word 'circus' in the description, I kind of wondered how good it was going to be, but I'd highly recommend it. Adam also enjoyed it. And of course, we ate WAY. TOO. MUCH. Popcorn.

Sunday we went to late church and out for lunch before G&G left for the weekend. We're always so excited to have visitors and have a great time. It was the conclusion of the first of two visitor weekends, as my brother Ross and his wife, Kristen, are coming next weekend. Adam's brother Tom, and his fiance, Carrie (this is new information!! HAPPY ENGAGEMENT guys!!) are planning to come in May and we'll be home back to back weekends in May/June.

I have more to say but I'll say it later with her 18 month stat post. It's 3pm. She's still yelling for me. We have to leave in 45 minutes for her appointment. 30 minute nap this morning. We might be so very screwed...wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment