Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Morgan's New Skills

I realize I haven't updated solely on Morgan's skills in quite some time and noticed a few things this week that were new, so if I put anything in that I've already mentioned in the past week or two, well, then don't read it. ;-) Morgan's hot new skills include:
  • Gross Motor: Morgan now prefers, with hand-holding (one up, two down), to go up and down stairs on her feet instead of hands and knees. She started doing this going UPstairs, but down was tricky as only one little leg was allowed to bend and bear her weight...but she's getting good and giggles while doing it most of the time.
  • Fine Motor: Morgan has now pretty much mastered using a spoon. Her wrist coordination is quite impressive, actually, and she can eat yogurt and cottage cheese on her own save for the little shnivels at the end. Soup or cereal? Not so sure there.
  • Expressive Language: Morgan now uses many many single word utterances (primary), several two word utterances (still emerging), and some "pat" three-word phrases (I did it, There it is). She continues to improve and gain new language daily. 
  • Receptive Language: Morgan follows one step directions (save for the fact that she's a toddler and likes to refuse some) and has gotten a pretty good grasp on two step related/unrelated directions especially if there's something yummy involved ("Morgan, put your shoes away and then we'll have a snack). We're working really hard on first/then to help decrease her frustration and tantruming even though I'm very aware that much of that is her age. 
  • Morgan would spend 99% of her waking hours outside if she could. If we're not eating and it's nice outside, chances are Morgan is at the door yelling, "Ow-side!!" and out we go. Favorite outdoor past times include: writing with sidewalk chalk and standing on the letters mom writes/says as well as naming many of them, kicking/throwing/playing ball with her balls and Jessie's balls, swinging (endlessly), walking around taking in the world around her, finding the moon and yelling "MOON!" (what's the poor kid going to do when it's not daytime moon anymore?), helping get the mail, going for walks, bubbles, and pretty much any and everything we can think of to do outside. I heart this time with her. It's great watching her explore (but not so great watching her fall and skin her knees). 
I think those are the major highlights for now. After a sort of craptastic start to the week, I must say today was a great turn-around. I feel a million times better, Morgan, although grumpy most of the day, was absolutely adorable in her pink and purple sparkly outfit we broke out (think pink/purple/gold tutu with matching leggings and tshirt), and low and behold a bouquet of my wedding lilies showed up at work for me this afternoon. Now it's starting to smell like my wedding in my house and I love it. Feeling like a pretty lucky girl today...

No comments:

Post a Comment