Thursday, June 4, 2009

21 weeks down, 19 to go!

Here we are, 21 weeks into this adventure. It's been a good week. Can't really complain. Who can complain about a 3-day work week and summer drawing near? No one. So I won't either because I'm really excited! Although there are some things I've been grappling with...pictures first!
I'm feeling great, actually, but the biggest thing this week is coming to terms with my weight gain thus far in relation to how many weeks I currently am. Here's my goal: I would like to gain no more than 25-30lbs with this baby. I started out within normal limits for my BMI/overall weight so that is a very reasonable, accurate number for me to gain. I've read and heard that many women (I say many b/c it's ridiculous how things vary b/w women) gain most of their preggo weight b/w months 5-7. Since I just started month 5, I would have expected that I would still be under half way to my goal weight so I had "wiggle room" for those months. Here's the problem - at 21 weeks I've put on 14lbs. Not much wiggle room there if my weight gain isn't equally distributed across time/weeks. Hmm. This poses a problem. I think it's also hitting home that I'm approaching/just reaching a 10-digit number on the scale (which shall remain anonymous) that I have never seen before from my body's influence and it's a hard pill to swallow. Ok, so now that I sound like a freaked out "skinny chick," here's what I've come to realize (per Adam (if he's telling the truth, which he's known for) and myself) - I am not gaining weight in my face or arms to my knowledge, nor am I gaining an obscene amount in my birthing hips or thighs. (It's ok...we all knew I had huge hips/butt pre-preggo.) Pretty much most of it is baby-related (bust/belly). I'm ok with that. I've also come to terms that my body is going to do what it needs to so that our little girl is healthy and comfortable. I'm not overeating a ton (well, I do once in a while...that was normal pre-preg too) or anything. So 14lbs at this point is going to be ok with me. I think the next scary number will be when that 14 turns to a 20. Hopefully that's a ways off yet. I also know that I'm going to be getting large and in charge over summer months when it's warm and when preggo bodies like to hang on to water at all costs which could influence my weight gain. I'll just concentrate on the here and now. Wow, that was a lot of info about me coming to terms with weight gain. Sheesh! Thanks for listening/reading.

Something new since last post - ab muscle stretching/discomfort. You know (those of you that have done these ever) when you do a ton of abs or a great ab workout that the next day they are sore to the touch? Well, that's a result of your ab muscles breaking down and getting tighter/stronger. Mine, on the other hand, now hurt to the touch (and sometimes no touch) every few days or so b/c they are breaking down, STRETCHING out, and getting tighter from expansion. It's an odd feeling. It almost feels like I'm full from eating, but am not feeling full in my stomach per se...All I know is that sometimes rubbing it hard with the heel of my hand works to ease the stretch a little. I had wondered how that would work as she got bigger along with my belly...interesting.

One other thing I learned today - if the pants mom is wearing are too tight on the lower part of my uterus area (see first picture), Baby Girl Schmidt just about goes bonkers trying to kick them off. All day long. She maybe slept/relaxed for 2-3 hours today. That is atypical for this little munchkin. Now she's up again b/c I am sitting here relaxing. I guess I'll just have to go shopping this weekend for more clothes. Ho hum (right!). She was still kicking when I got home and finally shed those terrible jean capris so much so that Adam could feel her movin' and shakin' while I was standing up talking to him. Now THAT'S some serious movement! We have such a cute little athlete in there already...as long as she's thinking thoughts of volleyball, basketball, and softball, and not soccer. :)

And finally, updates on mom/baby size.

Liss - gained 14lbs to date. You know where I stand here. :)
Baby - (according to approximations per babycenter.com) - 10.5" long and 0.75lbs. She's the size of a long carrot now and getting huge!! And so much stronger! The other day I think I was actually grabbing her along the length of her back as she was pushing up against the front of my uterus. I told Adam that if I was squeezing her back/body just then, I was going to fall over. It would sort of be the first time I "held" her. (and that thought makes me tear up.) Adam continues to tell me how he can't wait until she gets here. I told him we're moving as fast as we can!! What more do you want from us!?! ;-) And he smiles and gives me a hug...we're so blessed...and here are a few pictures of new clothes I bought her in St. Louis at my first-ever trip to Macy's this past week. :) The purple one reads "I'll always be Daddy's little girl." (tearing up)

No comments:

Post a Comment