Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Countdown Begins...

As of this post at 6:20pm Tuesday night, we officially have 16.67 hours to go until the beginning of the first doctor and ultrasound appointment related to this little bean in me. Or should I say blueberry, as that is his/her current size this week. The baby has DOUBLED in size since last week already. There is a great website my friend Abbie sent me that shows many ultrasounds including the traditional kind and 4D ones from preconception until 9 months. Another neat thing I learned on that site is that our baby's skin is currently made up of ONE layer of skin CELLS. This is why babies at 7/8 weeks are very translucent. The great thing about being translucent is that the baby can show off all the organs s/he's creating and growing. Once s/he gets some 'thick skin,' we won't have this luxury. Fine by me! I want my baby to have some SKIN! Oh yeah, the website - http://www.ehd.org/. Check it out. It's addicting and before I knew it I had looked at all of them (there are many).

Adam and I briefly talked about our anticipation and excitement for tomorrow's appointment. I started the conversation with, "I'm 98% excited and 2% scared out of my mind." He asked if I was more scared that something was wrong OR holy shit there's really something in there...I said 1% of each. We've been so excited for this day to come...so for there to actually be a real-live human about to invade our immediate family is a little "real" for us at the moment. I'm not so worried that something is wrong. I can't imagine there's nothing there since I still feel tired most of the time, my bras are just about to be too small (what?!? I don't know if that's EVER happened), and my stomach hurts if I don't feed myself just right...among other minor symptoms. While Adam knows I've been a LITTLE whiny here and there, I've been really lucky to have had a relatively smooth pregnancy thus far (knock knock). Let's hope it stays that way!

Other upcoming countdowns to note:
1. Going home to WI this weekend to tell our family (pending tomorrow goes well, which it should).
2. The end of Trimester #1 (end of March-ish, depending on how far along the OB says I am tomorrow) and hopefully all this fatigue (temporarily) and queasiness.
3. The end of the school year and the start to a beautiful, part-time summer of working and incubating.

I know the economy is rough and making everyone nervous, but we've been pretty lucky so far in 2009. Thoughts and prayers please that this part of 2009 (the baby) continue to go well, smoothly, and that everything works out (ie. healthy baby) for us. I'll send the same wishes your way (unless you don't plan on babies this or next year).

Well, I delayed putting on PJs immediately upon my arrival at home in hopes that I would not become quite so comfortable and do nothing all night like I did last night. It went well! I got lots done so far, but I think it's time to go get comfy-er. It was a great thing that my pants fit today but that's because they're my fat pants. I joked with Adam tonight...he's got a goal to shed a few pounds and now that he is, we're trading tummies. His is going back in and mine is starting to stick out a little. Don't worry - not baby. Just bloat and it's normal. But now that I'm rambling (clearly dilerious from this "up and at 'em" attitude), I'm going to go get some jammies and snuggle up by the warm fire downstairs. Adam's at volleyball. I couldn't go b/c my back is still really "sore." Hee hee! Little do they know (well, save Jason & Julie) that we should have a big announcement soon as to why I'm really missing vball! Wish us luck tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment