Saturday, March 7, 2009

We told our families!

What a whirlwind day and a half. Adam and I both took the afternoons off on Friday and went home to WI to tell our parents in an effort to catch Adam's parents before they left for Arizona today. My bff back home, Steph, has her bridal shower planned for NEXT weekend but we told our parents it was happening this weekend so no one would suspect anything...and it worked beautifully. We got them all!

We came into town Friday evening and made up the excuse that I had been shopping and found small 'unimportant' gifts for them that they might like for vacation. We had Sherri (Adam's mom) open hers first (a Grandmother Willow Tree figurine) and she initially thought it was another mother/son piece...until we had Al (A's dad) open his baseball wrist rattle...then Sherri read the bottom of the figurine that said "Grandmother" and all pandemonium broke loose as they got it. Best thing is - we recorded it. They thought we were giving them gag gifts and we wanted to record their reactions...they were slightly mistaken!

This morning, we told my mother, brother, and sister during brunch to celebrate my mom's birthday. We gave her a picture frame with the ultrasound pictures in it and a 'grandchild' saying on the bottom. She flipped. It was great. Recorded her too! As for cousins and you shall receive! To tell my brother and sister-in-law, who have been asking for cousins for their daughters frequently, we sent our nieces the ultrasound pictures and asked them to call us when they get it. They currently live in Alaska. Can't wait for that phone call!

Lastly, we went to my dad and stepmom's house. My dad was at a church retreat so unfortunately we had to have him open his gift while we were on the phone with him. It was another easy gift-giving for my stepmom since her birthday is next week. We gave her a onsie that said "grandma's little helper" and it had a watering can and flowers on it which is fitting since Susie is co-owner of a plant nursery. She was very excited and you guessed it - recorded reaction! My dad called us before opening his present and Susie videotaped it too...he also received a onsie that said "grandpa's little helper" and had tools all over it - fitting since my dad is "Mr. Fix-it."

Needless to say, we are thrilled, beyond excited, and so pleased that everyone knows now. I am going to wait to tell work until the end of March but we are feeling better about slowly letting the cat out of the bag to our friends. But for now, I'm so sleepy I could sleep sitting up. I'm feeling a little guilty that I haven't had many veggies and fruits the past few days, so I'm going to go have some leftover corn. What can I say? We'll just blame a late-night corn grazing on the baby. :)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Adam & Melissa!
    I am thrilled by the news & so happy for you! You'll be fantastic parents! Take care. Love, Kim S.

    ReplyDelete