We just found out we're expecting triplets!! We went to the doctor today for my 12-week appointment and she found THREE heartbeats!! And if you believe that, then you've been a victim of APRIL FOOL'S!!! But today we really did go to the doctor for my 12-week appointment and we got to actually HEAR the baby's heartbeat! At first Dr. Coleman squirted the gel on my tummy and started searching for Baby Schmidt's little heartbeat...and didn't find it right away. She scooted over to the right...nothing. Then she went down a little and in the middle and there was some minimal whooshing but not THAT sound...so then she tried down low and to the left...and boom boom, boom boom, boom boom!! A very STRONG, healthy, not as whooshy as we thought it would be...heartbeat! Success! I was almost near tears b/c it was taking longer than I thought it should to find it and just like that - a baby heartbeat was heard. We were so excited and then asked Dr. Coleman lots of questions including one about DHA which is another supplement (on the shelves it is called Expecta) that promotes healthy brain and eyeball growth. I also asked if I was normal to be as "big" as I am already (yes, I know the bump is minimal in comparison to women further along but I feel it). She said yes, and that it's just my uterus growing up and pushing everything up and out of the way - which I figured. That made me feel better b/c this week is probably the last I'm going to fit into my fat pants until this baby is breathing real-live air on his/her own. It is my mission this weekend to find a few pairs of maternity work pants and at least one more pair of jeans. I don't think I'll need shirts for a while yet but it takes some hunting in my closet/dresser to find shirts that will cover the band on the tops of the pants.
So yesterday morning, I felt the hard bump otherwise known as my uterus (for the moment-it will be baby-only sooner than we think!) had gotten much higher than the last time I checked. So Adam and I had fun poking my lower belly and feeling the hard bump...and then I paid for it the rest of the morning with some minor cramping that was more of an annoyance than anything. Then today, Dr. Coleman pointed it out to me and started poking at it and I quickly mentioned that poking it made me cramp up yesterday...she laughed and quickly stopped.
The good news is that after this successful crossing of hurdle #3 (after conception and u/s #1), all is a go and should be just fine. Chances of miscarriage are slim to none. That said, this just got a touch more real. I never expected (or hoped) anything to go wrong...but now chances are VERY good for us to be new parents in October. It still seems surreal at times but we continue to be so excited. Adam's favorite thing to do is put his hand over my belly while we're just going to bed or just waking up in the morning to feel the bump. The doctor said I had gained 3lbs in the past 4 weeks...which is fine. But now it's time to get some exercise going.
Speaking of exercise, yesterday was the day. The day I broke out of the lazies and decided to become myself again (except with a baby inside). I was sitting with my kids all day long at work and was wearing a shirt that was a little tighter so I could see my belly all day long. :-/ And I knew it wasn't baby or moving inside parts. It was time to get off the couch and move. So when I got home I vacuumed, did the dishes, and a few other things while making dinner. Then we took the dogs for a good walk before cashing in for the night. Today after work I went to the Y and walked for a 1/2 hour and also took Maddie for a walk (while Adam & Jessie ran) and feel pretty good. I'm planning on keeping this up so that the weight I put on is healthy and not overly gigantic. :) That definitely counts as a point on the good mommy scale...I could get good at this I think...
No comments:
Post a Comment