So we went in Sunday night and got settled in. The nurse put in the prostoglandins, which, as I think I mentioned before, is like a little flat tampon of chemicals that stays next to my cervix over night for 12 hours. After registration and everything finally got done, my cool nurse handed me over to the ok nurse who put it in - ow. She had a hard time finding my cervix which of course meant more "in time" which never feels comfortable when the nurse is near your tonsils. :) But success, it was in, and we went to sleep with thoughts of our daughter running through our heads.
We were awakened the next morning at 6am and I was allowed to take the prostoglandin tampon out. Half an hour later, they started me on Pitocin. I was pretty sure that since I was already 2cm and 80% effaced before the Prostoglandins that I would be almost ready to get into labor after that...but alas, I had not made much further progress. Boo. Was kind of sad about that. So off to Pitocin we went.
We ate breakfast (which was liquids only for me - ick), watched some TV, and waited for Dr. Coleman to come and check my progress. I was fully expecting to hear that I had made moves in cm's but alas, she came in, and nothing. I hadn't really moved at all by 9am. I was pretty disheartened by this news as I had anticipated having a baby around the noon hour, maybe late afternoon. Dr. Coleman told the nurse, Carol (loved this one), to up the Pitocin a bunch and keep her posted. She'd be back around noon. Which really meant almost 1pm in doctor time. :) She checked me and said that I had made "progress" but was really only at a 2, maybe 3. BUMMER! I was sad again and she told us our options -
- Keep going with the Pitocin and if I get to a 3-4 (cm) then she'd break my water and we'd go for it.
- If I hadn't made progress then we could stop the Pitocin and wait until the morning when I was given mondo-Pitocin and they'd break my water - a sure bet we'd have the baby the next day.
I'm writing these posts where all mommies get privacy - in the bathroom in a sitz bath (helps for healing). My water for the bath just ran out so I'll continue this tomorrow. And maybe post some pictures...I've got some on facebook, but I know not all of you can get there. I'm working on it! :) And loving being a new mommy.
No comments:
Post a Comment